Pentrexyl is an antibacterial drug for systemic use. The main active ingredient is Ampicillin, which has an effect on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, stopping their growth and reproduction, disrupting the formation of peptidoglycan of the microbial wall. Does not affect penicillin-forming staphylococci. Pentrexil has no effect on a viral infection, so it is not effective to treat the flu or the common cold.
The active effect of ampicillin is observed already 2 hours after taking the drug. It does not accumulate in the body, excreted by the kidneys. At the same time, 30-40% is excreted unchanged.
Indications for use
Pentrexyl is used for bacterial infections of the following organs and systems:
- Lower respiratory tract: pneumonia, lung abscess, bronchitis
- Upper respiratory tract and ENT organs: acute tonsillitis, otitis media, sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis
- Genitourinary system: pyelonephritis, cystitis, cholecystitis, urethritis, pyelitis, gonorrhea, chlamydia
- Skin and soft tissue: abscess, sepsis, phlegmon, erysipelas, impetigo, secondarily infected dermatosis
- Gastrointestinal tract: colitis associated with taking antibiotics
- Bones and joints: bacterial arthritis, osteomyelitis
- Bacterial endocarditis
- Other diseases caused by gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria
With extreme caution, a medication should be taken for bronchial asthma, a history of bleeding, and hay fever.
The drug should not be used with hypersensitivity to ampicillin or other components. The use of the drug Pentrexyl is also contraindicated in the following diseases:
- Infectious mononucleosis;
- Gastrointestinal diseases;
- Renal and liver failure
- Pregnancy, lactation
- Children's age up to 4 years.
In any case, before taking the medication, you must consult your doctor, who should familiarize yourself with the patient’s history.
The dose of the drug is prescribed individually by the attending physician, who got acquainted with the patient’s history and made a diagnosis. Depending on the severity of the disease, the affected system and organs, concomitant diseases, the age of the patient and other factors, a dosage of 1 to 3 g per day is prescribed (the daily dosage is divided into 2-6 doses). Pentrexyl is taken 0.5-1 hour before a meal, washed down with plenty of water.
- For infections of the gastrointestinal tract and the genitourinary system: 0.5 g - 4 times a day
- Gonococcal urethritis: 3.5 g single dose
For children from 4 years of age, the drug is prescribed in the form of a suspension. Dosage is calculated depending on body weight.
The course of treatment lasts from 7-14 days, but may be longer for various diseases. The duration of the course is also determined by the doctor.
Interaction with other drugs
The effectiveness of the drug Pentrexyl is reduced by medicines: chloramphenicol, phenobarbital, tetracycline, phenothiazide, bacteriostatic antibiotics. When combined with allopurinol, it can cause skin rashes. Antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of birth control.
Together with other bactericidal antibiotics may have a synergistic effect. Enhances the absorption of digoxin. Increases the toxicity of methotrexate, reduces clearance.
The following side effects are possible:
- Nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, gastritis, colitis, dysbiosis, diarrhea;
- Hyperemia, candidiasis, edema, itching
- Leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia, agranulocytosis
- Tremor, cramps, headache, agitation, anxiety, frequent mood swings, nervousness
- Jade, nephropathy
An overdose of Pentrexyl can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dysfunction of the central nervous system. To remove the active substance from the body, it is necessary to wash the stomach and intestines. In renal failure, hemodialysis. Binding to blood proteins is 20-30%.
You can order Pentrexil in our online pharmacy Medicines Mexico at the best price. We will deliver your order within 15-30 business days. If you have a prescription for this drug, please send it to us by e-mail so that our specialist will calculate the amount of medication for your entire course of treatment.
We want to become the most convenient, fast and effective online pharmacy in Mexico and America so that you receive treatment and do not feel financial discomfort. We wish you good health and well-being.read more